Home

BizHyderabad

Students Den

ITHyderabad

Hyderabad Watch

Newsmakers

ReachoutHyderabad.com

Everything you want from Academics to Books, to job resources


       

Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU)


 
Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) was established on June 12, 1964 at Hyderabad. The University was formally inaugurated on March 20, 1965 by Late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India. Another significant milestone was the inauguration of the building programme of the University by Late Smt Indira Gandhi, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India on June 23, 1966.

The University was renamed as Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University on November 7th 1996 in honour and memory of an outstanding Parliamentarian Acharya N.G. Ranga, who rendered remarkable selfless service for the cause of farmers and is regarded as an outstanding educationist, kisan leader and freedom fighter.
 

Administration Building

The importance of the application of Science and Technology for Agricultural development was realized as early as in the beginning of this century. Among the several commissions appointed for suggesting steps to streamline agriculture development, the Royal Commission (1926) emphasized the need for a strong research base for agricultural development. Subsequently, the recommendations of the Radhakrishnan Commission (1949) on University Educationled to the establishment of Rural Universities for the overall development of agriculture and rural life in the country. Later, the Government of India constituted the First Joint Indo-American Team (1955) that studied the status and future needs of agricultural education in the country. The report of this commission laid the foundation for all the subsequent developments with regard to agricultural education in India. However, for want of specific recommendations, the Government of India appointed the Second Joint Indo-American Team (1960) headed by Dr. M. S. Randhawa, the then Vice-President of Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The team submitted its report in 1960, which recommended specifically the establishment of Farm Universities and spelt out the basic objectives of these Universities as.

 

Institutional Autonomy

  • Inclusion of Agriculture
  • Veterinary/ Animal Husbandry and Home Science
  • Integration of Teaching, Research and Extension
     

Later, the report of the Second National Education Commission (1964-66), headed by Dr. D.S. Kothari, Chairman of the University Grants Commission stressed the need for establishing at least one Agricultural University in each Indian State. As a result, the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) was established on June 12, 1964 at Hyderabad. Shri. O. Pulla Reddi, I.C.S. (Retired) was the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.

In accordance with provisions of the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University Act, 1963, some of the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science were transferred from the Universities to which they had been affiliated to the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University during June, 1964. These are: Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Hyderabad (established in 1961, affiliated to Osmania University), Agricultural College, Bapatala (established in 1945, affiliated to Andhra University), Sri Venkateswara Agricultural College, Tirupati (established in 1961, affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University) and Andhra Veterinary College, Tiruapti (established in 1961, also affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University). In addition, 41 Agricultural Research Stations, functioning under the Department of Agriculture and four Research Stations of the animal Husbandry Department were transferred to the University in July, 1966 and May, 1967, respectively.

The University was formally inaugurated on March 20, 1965 by late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India. Another significant milestone was the inauguration of the University's building programme by Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India on June 23, 1966.

A life size bronze statue of Acharya N.G. Ranga was unveiled by His Excellency Dr.C.Ranagarajan, the Governor of Andhra Pradesh on 7th November, 1998 at the main campus of the University.

The University offers various U.G. degree courses in the faculties of Agriculture, Veterinary Science and Home Science at its constituent colleges in A.P.state, the main campus being Rajendranagar, Hyderabad. The medium of instruction for all the U.G Courses is ENGLISH.

Post Gradate courses leading to Masters degree are offered in 10 disciplines in Agriculture, 2 in Horticulture and 5 in Home Science. Doctoral degree programmes are available in 9 disciplines in Agriculture and 5 disciplines in Home Science. In addition, inter-faculty Master degree programmes are being offered in Agri. Business Management, Food Science and Technology, Agril. Biotechnology and Environmental Science and Technology.

Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University
Rajendranagar, Hyderabad-500 030, Andhra Pradesh.
040-24015011 to 040-24015017
040-24015161 to 040-24015163

Back to Students Den

Home

Movie Review

ITHyderabad

BizHyderabad

Newsmakers

Hyd Watch

<

This site is conceived, designed, and maintained by ReachoutHyderabad.com.
 All rights reserved world wide. Copyright  1999- 2008. Mail your queries to info@reachouthyderabad.com
Disclaimer:
Neither ReachoutHyderabad.com, nor the sources it obtained the information from, are responsible for the correctness /validity of the information in these pages. It is a collection of both facts and opinions. You are advised to verify all information with a reliable source before acting on it. This disclaimer applies to all pages of ReachoutHyderabad.com
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without written permission of  ReachoutHyderabad.com is prohibited.